Essay 2 Final Draft: The Gift of Curiosity

Curiosity can be a wave of overpowering feelings of an uncertain subject, or even as a doubt in the back of your mind that you have always questioned but never reached out to what it really meant. Everyone experiences it differently, from life changing questions that effect multiple people to everyday use such as buying a new product you want to try out. Not everyone experiences the same level of curiosity, but it affects us in some way in life. How can curiosity play an important role in life and what does it give us?

Curiosity has been observed throughout history. Without it, many people and events would not have occurred and civilization would probably never exist; basically without curiosity we would still be living without the knowledge of how to start a fire and develop after. “The concept of curiosity has a long and interesting history, and the birth of modern science is concurrent with attempts to modify the meaning of curiosity.”(Sarukkai). This article explains that science and many other historical figures would be nothing without their curiosities on the world and life itself. Sarukkai explains that the capacity of how much curiosity someone has, is the essence of science itself. So, the more curious or driven someone is to discover a newfound wonder or imagination they have, the more likely they are to go forth and conquer that desire.

I can see this type of ambition and hunger through a classmate, Marissa, in her blog entry on her curiosity during a school trip. Her motive to settle her questions on life itself started on an eye-opening trip to Europe, that sent jaws-dropping on the climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower. “I was looking at the world for what it was and I had never felt so happy or fortunate to have been in that moment…I had realized what it felt like to be genuinely happy with yourself and your life.” (Scimone) The feeling of an accomplishment that big and a sudden realization that everything you have wondered about was right there in front of you has only increased Scimone and many others’ curiosity to the next level and opened up many more possibilities on how to answer those questions. She concludes her story by adding,“my trip is something I will always take with me, because it not only holds the most beautiful of memories, but it also carries some of my greatest discoveries.” (Scimone) and I believe that is how curiosity comes from experiences through the learner’s eyes.

Being curious comes in different forms to everyone. For example, I experienced it by questioning my sexual preference and even that is an enormous range to figure in itself. But many people see it as a way of building their personalities. My boyfriend Andrey is still experimenting with his curiosity on art. What will work better for his talents? Will he enjoy painting or sculpture more? It is all a big question mark that his curiosity will take him, and eliminate for him as he experiences and tries different types of art. It is all about taking the time to look at what attracts in your mind thanks to curiosity conforming to your personality itself, making you, you. A former English 101 student wrote how curiosity itself forms a person into who they will eventually become. “The curiosity thats has caused a large-scale evolution of things such as sports is the same curiosity that inspires growth and change in the individual” (Buckman).

Of course many people experience doubt, like myself on the sexuality, but that is all a form of curiosity. “Doubt is based on some judgements we make about our perception and inference. But doubt, like curiosity, is what leads us to questions and also to knowledge.”(Sarukkai). Without doubt, we could not push ourselves to the max and allow us to decided what is important to discover and what is not important to just leave behind. Being doubtful sounds scary, but is an actual blessing in disguise for some because it shows how far they are willing to go to accept their wonder and go forth in achieving it.
Some may view curiosity as a sinful deviation in cultures, repressing creativity, critical thinking, and unique ways of learning even in young children. Sarukkai explains that many people cut off curiosity at a young age because of the fear “curiosity killed the cat” and teach children to not be curious. This shows a huge disadvantage to growing and using curiosity to ask questions and make new discoveries. Without curiosity in the young, we may never develop into who we really are. “From as far back as I can remember I loved being in nature. I loved to explore. That childhood curiosity developed into my love for camping and hiking” (Buckman). Whether it is finding a hobby or passion or asking the questions no one else dares or even thinks to ask, curiosity is the platform that everyone uses to evolve and progress as time goes on, and that is an important gift from curiosity.

We can now see that curiosity thrives in everyones head, it is biology after-all. Without it human and nature would not have come this far and be able to grow off of. Some are more adventurous, understand, creative and natural in the presence of curiosity, which is a wonderful and needed feeling to receive. We just all need to accept and preserve our fascination in our minds to be able to see the big picture that is life.

Work Cited

1. Sarrukkai, Sunday. “”Science and the Ethics of Curiosity.” EBSCOhost.com. CURRENT SCIENCE, VOL. 97, NO. 6, 25 Sept. 2009. Web. 9 Mar. 2015. .” Current Science. 6th ed. Vol. 97. N.p.: n.p., n.d. N. pag. EBSCOhost.com. Web. 25 Sept. 2009.

2. S., Marissa. “College Writing.” College Writing. N.p., 2 Mar. 2015. Web. 09 Mar. 2015. <http://rissasceermonie.edublogs.org/2015/03/02/my-final-memoir/>.

3. Buckman, Sarah. “CCP Idea.” Bccenglish101blog. N.p., 6 May 2014. Web.